Director of Maintenance & Equipment
Location: Smyrna, TN
Director of Maintenance & Equipment
Oversee maintenance department operations and personnel. Establish policies and procedures related to maintenance. Ensure that company policies are being executed at Company maintenance shops and manage lease partner program.
Duties and Responsibilities
Policies and Procedures
- Establish maintenance policies and procedures for the Company.
- Keep maintenance policies and procedures under continuous review and revise as necessary to meet changing conditions.
- Monitor activities of maintenance shops and Company terminals to see that Company policies are being followed.
- Ensure compliance with safety rules, including but not limited to those defined by OSHA and DOT.
- Maintain preventative maintenance schedules designed to keep equipment in safe operating condition.
- Devise appropriate maintenance record forms and supply to employees as needed
- Supply employees with necessary maintenance manuals and service bulletins.
- Exercise close control over engine repairs and trailer repairs both at company service centers and customer damaged trailer repairs.
- Setup equipment maintenance and modification campaigns as necessary and see that they are carried out.
- Ensure warranty work is completed by equipment manufacturers.
- Supervise the handling of all experiments being tried on Company equipment.
- Exercise control over lubricants, fuel and replacement parts being used on Company equipment to insure correct type and quality.
- Verify vendor invoices and submit to A/P for payment.
- Regular inspections of the shop and equipment to ensure that the proper working equipment is available and in good operating order.
Tires and Inventory
- Control purchasing of department equipment and replacement parts; manage inventory.
- Ensure employees adhere to Company tire program.
- Exercise control over hiring of mechanics to ensure quality of new hires.
- Assist in training maintenance personnel.
- Monitor maintenance personnel work schedules & time off request
- Responsible for housekeeping both in the shop and on the surrounding yard.
- Responsible for maintaining a team partnership with drivers and other in-house employees.
- Ensure appropriate financial management of department.
- Schedule employees and oversee work assignments.
- Interview, onboard and train new employees.
- Manage disciplinary issues in tandem with Management.
- Plan and manage projects.
Education and Experience
- Associate’s Degree or equivalent work experience
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel, etc.
- Knowledge of McLeod and Anita Maintenance record keeping a plus
- Minimum 5 years of related experience
- Staff supervision experience
- Familiarity with DOT and OSHA regulations
- Experience managing a preventative maintenance program
- Experience managing lease equipment & owner operator programs
- Available for up to 10% travel
- Valid driver’s license and ability to meet company driving requirements
- Strong organizational and analytical skills
- Solid communication skills and attention to detail
- Ability to work effectively with all levels of the organization
- Ability to be flexible and adapt to change
- Strong customer service orientation, ensuring needs and deadlines are met in a timely fashion
- Responds to emergency situations during and after standard hours for the purpose of resolving immediate safety concerns.
- Demonstrate a positive, proactive and motivated attitude
- Proven focus on continuous improvement in the workplace
- Ability to adapt to change in a fast-paced organization
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Knowledge of maintenance related KPI’s that need to be managed.