Bringing Gender Diversity to Transportation
At STS, we proudly embrace our diverse workforce. We are fortunate to have some of the best drivers in the industry delivering the freight safely to our customers each day. As we grow, we want to make life on the road as painless as possible, and enjoyable for our drivers. It is important as a company to create an environment of gender diversity so that drivers feel “at home.”
Life on the road for a female truck driver has many challenges, because women truck drivers are focused on making sure the family is taken care of. The connection to home is a high priority, and finding balance as a woman in the trucking industry can be a struggle.
At STS, we go the extra mile to assure that all truck drivers, (regardless of gender, race, or age), are treated exactly the same. That makes a world of difference in a world where compensation may vary for women in other industries. We offer each driver the same starting wage, benefits, and bonuses.
The life of a female truck driver is a good one, but tough skin and resilience are required for trailblazing in a male-dominated industry such as this one.
The trucking industry is currently facing a devastating loss of older truck drivers going into retirement. According to the American Trucking Associations (ATA), it’s only a matter of time before the nation is scrambling to compensate for a shortage of 174,000 drivers by the year 2026. ATA data shows that because of the lack of drivers, many trucking companies have increased their wages to attract new drivers with top-notch benefit packages.
Women can benefit the trucking industry by contributing to filling that shortage. According to the most recent data published by the United States Department of Labor, 57% of women participate in the labor force. However, only 6.2% of all truck drivers are female, which means there are great opportunities for women to become truck drivers.
In a survey conducted by The Women in Trucking Association and Sawgrass Logistics, women truckers were asked to rate how safe they felt while on the job on a scale of 1-10. The majority vote came in at a concerning 4.4.
Women drivers stated that truck stops were not providing enough amenities, and conditions were not “female friendly.” Also, women did not have a sense of security at times OTR.
At STS, we give mutual respect to all drivers and create an environment of protection. If any driver has a need, we address it and find a resolution quickly. This includes making our drivers feel safe in every situation.
Safety Tips for Female Truck Drivers
As previously mentioned, the life of a female trucker may feel unsafe at times. Here are a few tips women truckers can use to stay safe on the road.
- Make sure you are thoroughly trained before stepping into the vehicle and don’t be afraid to ask questions or ask for help if necessary.
- Make sure your truck is properly equipped with sturdy handles and steps to avoid an accident when getting in and out of that giant cab.
- Keep an emergency kit inside the cab of your vehicle. This kit should include a first aid kit, a flashlight and batteries, an extra blanket and warm clothing, a wireless phone charger, and any other basic emergency essentials.
- Make sure to get plenty of sleep and essential nutrients to stay healthy and alert.
- Whenever you park your vehicle for the night, park it in a well-lighted and highly visible area.
- Make a habit of locking your truck doors once you’re inside.
- Avoid confrontations while driving or parked.
- Try to drive with the sun, so you don’t have to pull over at deserted rest stops in the middle of the night.
- Take sexual harassment training and self-defense classes to build your confidence and prepare yourself for the worst-case scenario.
About Specialized Transportation Services…
Specialized Transportation Services (STS) is a leading transportation company who employs highly qualified drivers, utilizes the latest technologies and leverages the most advanced logistics management practices to deliver the best possible service to our customers and our drivers. From our drivers to our customer service, management, and office personnel, STS is built on nothing less than a team of dedicated professionals who care about the safe transportation of our customers’ products. We are committed to adding staff and drivers who have an exceptional work ethic and the desire to satisfy the customer.